Friday, June 8, 2007

Re-entry to my life...

Well, we've been home for a whopping 30 hours or so and things are going well. My dad and his wife picked us up at the airport and by the time we got luggage and got home, it was a little after 11 PM. I think the fact that we didn't sleep a whole lot in the previous 30 hours made the transition a little easier. We had a snack at home (a nice big salad for me) and tried to get some sleep. Miss Sophie wasn't exactly thrilled with her room the first night, but I think it was more that she was wide awake and buzzing and the room was a little scary with the lights out to try to sleep. At about 1 AM, I brought her into our room, thinking I would carry her back to her crib once she crashed. Of course, we all crashed at the same time and she stayed in our bed the whole night. EJ awoke at 5:30 AM, so she and I got up and K and Sophie stayed in bed until maybe 7.

In China, Sophie was only taking a bottle with some rice cereal in it, nothing else solid. She did eat some steamed eggs for us there, and a few bites of a croissant or banana bread or French toast at breakfast, but wasn't too interested. The only solid food that she really liked while we were there were these wonderful new things from Gerber that are little puffs that melt in her mouth. I say new because I don't remember these when EJ was a baby. I had taken two containers of these with me, both sweet potatoes and bananas, and she loved them. They're a little big, so I would break them in half, but she loved them. I also used these on the plane to keep her swallowing so her ears wouldn't bother her.

Yesterday morning, I thought I would try some banana baby food for breakfast. She didn't like it at all! She started wailing after only a few mouthfuls, so we went back to the banana puffs. At lunch, I made some plain orzo for myself, and she ate some of that, but I think she was swallowing each noodle whole without chewing! For dinner, we had grilled chicken, grilled potatoes and fresh green beans. I cut up a few beans and fed her those from a fork and she loved them. I also steamed some carrots and she loved those too. Perhaps she just wants real food like the rest of us and not that mushy pureed stuff, which would be fine with me.

She napped yesterday from 9:30 - 12 (we had to wake her) and again from 2 - 4 with me. We kept her awake after that and after dinner, a nice bath, and a final bottle, K rocked her to sleep in minutes and she has been sleeping soundly in her crib for the past 10 hours.

EJ will go to school today and then her final dance class before next weekend's recital today. Hopefully, she'll be well-rested. She did not nap yesterday, but she has been asleep since about 8:30 last night, so she should be ready.

I am uploading photos right now (I started them around 10 PM last night), so I should be able to show off some more of those soon.

2 comments:

Art, Sharon & Holly Morrison said...

We are glad you are back home! We have enjoyed watching the progress of your trip! Can't wait to meet our new cousin!
Love to all, your NC cousins!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, just got the Sola Fide and logged on to read about your new addition. Brings back fond memories of getting TJ and Jenna (though with out the chance to see their birth country) We just returned from 4 days in CA visiting TJ. He is 23 now and living in Irvine. Jenna is home for the summer and then returns to finish 2 more years at FIT in NYC Cherish this time as it goes so quickly........