Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cooking class

Yesterday, I went to a Chinese cooking class at the home of one of the families we traveled with to China. There were 4 of us there with the instructor. She taught us to make Chinese dumplings, lo mein, spring rolls, spicy chicken with peanuts, shrimp with asparagus, and my favorite, sesame chicken.

I've wanted to learn to make dumplings for a long time - since we returned from China, I haven't been able to get enough of them! I'm happy to report that they aren't nearly as difficult as I expected them to be, so I'm looking forward to making a batch. But first, I'm going to have to find a local Asian market or a make a trip to Chinatown for some supplies.

We will be seeing most of our travelmates in about a month at the annual Chinese New Years party for families who have adopted through our agency. It is a completely insane party at a huge banquet hall. We didn't go last year, but the year before there were almost 1800 people there! Chinese food, a silent auction for the agency's charitable fund, and fantastic entertainment. We can't wait to go this year!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That sounds like alot of fun. I have heard that there is a great asian grocery in Nashua.

We aren't going to the New Year party. We decided (a couple of years ago) that we wouldn't go until Annika got here (little did we know that would be YEARS away (LOL)). Since we are so close together, maybe we coud arrange to meet up some place another time.