Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sophie, musical genius

A few weeks ago, I started singing Itsy Bitsy Spider to Sophie and she immediately started up with the hand motions. Then, while she was sitting in the desk chair one day, she stood up and I grabbed both her hands and said "Down" and she immediately plopped down shouting "Down!" with such glee that I suspected she knew Ring Around the Rosey. I tested that theory and she did know it. One morning, I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and she opened and closed her hands in a twinkling fashion and then made a diamond shape with her chubby little fingers and raised them over her head when I got to the part about the "diamond in the sky".

The final installment had me laughing so hard. Since I'm running out of songs to sing (my repertoire has been severely limited since EJ discovered Hannah Montana), I somehow pulled "I'm Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee" out of the cobwebs in my head. Not only does she know the hand gestures, she yells "Ow!" at the appropriate time when the bumblebee stings! I was in tears. Now, I'm working on teaching her to bark on cue for "How Much is that Doggy in the Window?"

EJ loves music too, especially musicals. We watched "Hairspray" last night, and she said she might even like it better than "High School Musical"!

3 comments:

Gail said...

Wow!! She is doing so well.
Very smart!
Did she already know these songs and gestures or did you teach them to her and she remembered?

Thanks for the birthday wish.

Two Pearls said...

I didn't teach them...she's been learning them at daycare, but I had no idea they were working on all these songs! What a cute surprise! I need to dig out some of EJ's old CDs to see what else she knows!!!

Carrie said...

Its alway funny to discover things that they learned at daycare!!

Hairspray is my newest favorite too but I can't get Alex to watch it with me.