Friday, November 7, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole


So, over at Overwhelmed with Joy, there is a holiday recipe swap going on! You can click on the picture above to access the link to all of the recipes. There are already 30 out there, so please go take a look!

I'm not really much for the sweet sugary syrupy sweet potatoes. I actually like to just bake them and eat them with a little butter, but then I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens in 1997.

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds sweet potatoes (I use the yellow ones rather than the orange ones, but either will work)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 beaten egg
3 Tbsp butter, cubed
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 pecan pieces
pecan halves (optional)
  1. Scrub and peel sweet potatoes. Cut off and discard woody portions and ends. Cut potatoes into cubes. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain.
  2. Combine hot sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, egg, the 3 Tbsp cubed butter, and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, stir to break up potatoes but not complete mash them. Put mixture into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
  3. Combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in the 2 Tbsp butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecan pieces and sprinkle crumb mixture on top of potatoes.
  4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25 minutes. Garnish with pecan halves, if desired.

This recipe makes 8 side dish servings. I usually double it for large holiday meals because aren't leftovers really the best?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's great to see you join in on this. I make a very similar sweet potato recipe. I thought I hated sweet potato casserole until I tried this version.

Overwhelmed! said...

I have a confession to make. I've never made sweet potato casserole but I think it's time I tried, with your recipe! :)

Thanks for participating in my 3rd annual Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange! I do appreciate it.

Feel free to join me Fridays for my “Favorite Ingredients Friday” recipe exchange