Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hooray! We have power!

Sophie was very excited that the power came back on! Actually this photo was taken a few days ago, but too cute to pass up!
The power finally came back just about two hours ago after 10 LONG days. Here are some photos that I took on the day after the storm.
One of my two Japanese maple trees in the front yard:

The view down my street taken from the end of my driveway:


EJ went out to pick frozen leaves from the shrubs. Notice how long the icicles are are the leaves!


A pic of my neighbor's oak tree. All of the branches are broken or bent and pointing downward.

A shot from the house down the driveway. Our drive is about 300 feet long. Note the little trees laying on the power lines to the house. Those weren't the problem, though. Apparently, our circuit, which powers up to 2200 homes, was a problem in this storm.


I'm so glad it's over. On Thursday, the power company thought they would have us back up by Friday, but then on Friday morning, they changed that estimate to Sunday. As of about 5pm, it wasn't looking good, but then we saw the blinking yellow lights on the corner. K drove down to get more gasoline for the generator and the snowblower (oh yeah, we've had about a foot of snow today, and it's still coming down), and saw them working on the line. We were so excited that I ran out a big sampling Christmas cookies for the line workers to thank them.

3 comments:

Donna said...

YIPPPEE!! What more needs to be said?

Gail said...

Good God!!
I don't know how you survived without electricity all those days!
Welcome Back!
I have to say that the pictures are very pretty though.

Sophie looks so cute in those glasses. Love her smile

Sylvia said...

Beautiful pictures...