Thursday, March 8, 2007

Quilt Update

I'm sure you're all wondering why you haven't seen a picture of the completed quilt! The truth is that I haven't sewn a single stitch on it yet. Just keeping up with all of the fabric collection has been grueling. As you know, I scanned each piece of fabric and posted it here. Then, I had to wash and dry it all so that it would pre-shrink. And since some of it did shrink so much, I ended up trimming the 6 inch squares to 5.5 inches. And some folks sent larger pieces of fabric so that I could cut the square myself.

And then, there was the selection of the background fabric (two beige fabrics with pink accents that will be laid out in checkerboard fashion), and two shades of coordinating pink fabrics for the edge strips. Hmmm...let's hope we really are getting a girl! These fabrics had to be washed, dried, ironed, and cut into long 5.5 inch strips. Many thanks to Aunt C for showing me a few shortcuts on my cutting!

I've lost count, but I think I received something like 130-135 unique fabrics for the quilt! Wow! I never expected that many. Many people sent multiple patterns, so I'm trying to make sure that at least of each person's squares are included in the quilt. The extra squares will be made into small lap quilts for in the car and pillows.

The 100 squares that I use in the quilt will be laid out in a heart shape. I hope to lay them all out on the floor and have the design ready to go by Saturday. Perhaps I can capture a photo of that to update you all this weekend. I need an excuse to play with the new digital camera K bought today for our trip. He also picked up a new videocam at the same time. The videocam (digital tape) is smaller than our old digital camera. And the new digital camera is the size of a deck of cards. Gotta love technology. Anyway, we're taking them both for a test drive, as either can be returned within 10 days if we're not satisfied, so I need to focus on that over the weekend too, I guess.

No comments: