Saturday, August 9, 2008

"And this one time, at band camp..."

Ah, one of my favorite movie quotes (American Pie).

Why, might you ask, am I talking about band camp today? Well, between 1981 and 1987 (high school and college), I spent a week or two every mid-August at -- you guessed it -- band camp! Marching drills up and down the football field, doing left and right pivots, and marching 8 to 5. That's not 8 AM to 5 PM, that's 8 paces in every five yards. K is still amazed at how accurately I can pace off distances in the yard when doing landscaping projects!

Anyway, I'm talking about band camp because if you've participated in any activity where you try to get a large number of people all doing the same thing at the same time or trying to get to a certain point at a certain time, you know how difficult it is.

That's what made last night's opening ceremonies so spectacular to me...they were fascinating in their accuracy.




And these performers, inside blocks that moved up and down to create fantastic patterns, were unbelievable! I thought it was all automated at first, but then thought I saw some legs underneath. Nah, I thought. It's just getting late. Sure enough, at the end, the performers popped open lids on the top of the blocks and stuck out their heads! Unbelievable.


We did not watch the entire event last night, but it is recorded on the PC to watch later. Sophie was fascinated by the opening drumming. When they were done, she clapped enthusiastically and said "Again!" so I'll have to let her see it on the recording. EJ made it until about 9:15, and K and I stayed awake until about 11. We're too busy watching swimming and men's gymnastics now - maybe tomorrow?

No comments: