Monday, April 30, 2007

Pics of the nursery

Today, someone at work asked how the nursery was coming along, so I'm offering the evidence that it's pretty much done:


The larger chest of drawers on the left is a "vintage" piece (that is, old and used from a moving sale!) that really matches the furniture in EJ's room. I'd like to strip this and paint it to match the pieces that are in her room (the same cream color on the closet door and trim in this photo), but we haven't had a need for it yet. For now, it will stay in Sophie's room and serve as extra storage.

See the little rocking chair on the left? That was mine when I was a toddler, given to me by my godparents, my great Aunt A and Uncle J. At one point, it had a little music box on the bottom so that it played music as you rocked, but that was lost somewhere along the way. Behind the little chair is a small wooden toybox from PapPap and Mamaw S, and the yellow eyelet crib bedding was from them as well.



And in this photo you can see Sophie's book collection (compliments of EJ) and a rocking chair that once belonged to K's paternal grandmother. This chair had red vinyl upholstery on it when we took custody of it many years ago, and we decided to refurbish it when EJ was born. I love the new upholstery, but the chair continues to need structural work, so I'm not sure if it's safe to sit in right now!

I still need to hang some artwork on the walls. I have a cute baby quilt with the alphabet on it to hang on the wall, and K's parents also bought us a really nice panda print to hang as well. See the green bulb-shaped thing on the left in the 2nd picture? That's one of three fabric lanterns that I'd like to hang from the ceiling, but I'm waiting to see what other cool things I might find in China - maybe a kite? And the windows have mint green roman shades that K's mom and I made, but I need valances. Perhaps I'll find some pretty embroidered silk in China for those.

If you look closely at the walls, you will see they are mint green and lavender stripes on the bottom of the chair rail with butter yellow on the top. The colors aren't very bright in these pictures, as I took them at dusk, but let's just say that I WILL NEVER PAINT STRIPES AGAIN! Perhaps it had something to do with being 6 or 7 months pregnant at the time I was trying to measure and tape nice straight lines. Perhaps it was the paint fumes. All I know is that it was a not-so-fun way to spend a few weeks, and therefore, it shall not be repeated in my lifetime.

No comments: