Monday, October 6, 2008

Peanut butter - take 2

Well, the second test of peanut butter didn't go any better. This time, the miniscule amount of peanut butter was nestled between a bit of cookie and a layer of chocolate (EJ found the girl scout cookies in the freezer!). I allowed Sophie to have a little "neeble" (nibble), and she did the same thing a few minutes later - pulled at her tongue, coughed, and got some red splotches around her mouth. She was fine within a few minutes, I think a call to the doctor will be in order in the next few days. And we need to alert her caregivers that she can't have any until we get this figured out.

EJ and I walked in the breast cancer walk in Boston yesterday with a team from my office. Actually, we only walked with the team part way, and then we cut off to take the short loop (3 miles), while the rest of team did the long loop (5.7 miles). A bit chilly, but the walking kept us warm. It was a lot of fun - I've never walked across any of the big bridges of Boston before, so we had a chance to check out the view from the Mass Ave bridge.

Oh, and for those of you following the weaning process, Sophie has now gone to bed 5 of the last 6 nights without her bottle, so I think we're pretty much there! Yeah!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh! That stinks about the peanut butter. I was so relieved that Sera could eat it. It's just such a pain dealing with peanut allergies. Hopefully, this won't be that serious.

Wendy said...

Oh, that is a scary allergy. I hope she checks out okay. My daughter had hives after sitting next to my son when he ate a pbj. Our very mellow pediatrician ordered an epi-pen immediately. He didn't want me to be without it while we waited for testing. Turned out she tested okay, but I still don't give it to her. So many of her friends at school and friends at my son's school are severely allergic that I switched over to sunflower butter. I even had a kid who rode in my car react because someone had eaten a granola bar in that seat a day or two before. Call me crazy, but who needs the risk! Too many kids around who have this allergy and I want to make sure they stay safe!

OldOaks said...

If you think you want to try again, try a peanut butter cookie but only use Smuckers or some other natural peanut butter (peanuts and salt only) to make the cookies. Even then, use just a small bite. We certainly don't want anything to happen to the littlest Pearl.

Grandma & Pap Pap H