Thursday, May 3, 2007

DAYS 23 & 24: Malaria, Tetanus, and Typhoid...Oh MY!

We are in the midst of figuring out what additional vaccines we will be getting before traveling. Malaria and Typhoid vaccines are recommended, but many people don't get them because they're not planning to be in a rural area. I think we'll probably ere on the side of caution (my father-in-law's motto: consider the cost of being wrong).

Now, if we can just find a travel clinic to give us the meds... When we started the Hep A/B injections two years ago, we went to the travel clinic at the local hospital. The hospital is on my top-of-the-line Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO plan. However, the travel clinic, WHICH IS PHYSICALLY LOCATED INSIDE THE HOSPITAL, does not take insurance. So, we paid for it and then submitted the expenses. The claim was denied and then I had to call and complain and say HOW COULD I POSSIBLY KNOW THAT A DIVISION OF A COVERED HOSPITAL WOULD NOT BE COVERED!!! Then, we went back for the 2nd and 3rd shots, which again were denied, and I called and complained and said YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT YOU WOULD PAY FOR THE FIRST INJECTION AND NOT THE OTHER TWO?!?!?! Of the covered clinics in the area, the doctor is on vacation for the next three weeks at one and the other will not provide travel services for children. Is this insane or what?

While shopping for travel and baby supplies, I found the cutest little onesies with pink Red Sox logos all over them, so of course, Sophie HAD to have them. Now, if I could just find a mini pink cap to go with them...

No comments: