Wednesday, May 9, 2007

T minus 14: More Crazy Cakes!!

When EJ was born, I decided to start her a collection of signed children's books. I thought it would be something of great sentimental value that she could always keep and perhaps pass down to her children some day.

We've picked up some interesting additions to the collection over the years--books from Jan Brett, Tasha Tudor, Eric Carle... In fact, when we sent some books to Eric Carle and explained EJ's collection, he not only inscribed and signed them and sent them back, he also drew little sketches of the characters inside the covers! Then, a few weeks later, another package arrived from his studio, and when we opened it up, it was a copy his newest book (at the time), Dream Snow, that had been inscribed to her. It came with a letter from his publicist who said that each month, Carle picks a fan and sends them a book! It, too, was inscribed to her.

Anyway, one of our favorites is "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" by Rose Lewis. From Amazon.com: "Mother-love is profound, however a baby comes into a woman's life. For Rose Lewis, the journey to motherhood begins with a letter to Chinese officials, asking if she can adopt from the 'big room with lots of other babies.' The infants in that room in China are each missing a mother, but Lewis is missing something, too--a baby. She travels to China to meet her new little girl and falls head over heels in love. Taking her baby home to America, Lewis introduces her to all her family and friends, and they begin their life together."




I bought this signed book for EJ from a little local bookshop that, sadly, is no longer in business. I bought it on a whim one day, when I noticed it was signed by both the author (Lewis) and the illustrator (Jane Dyer, one of my favorites). EJ might have been 2 or 3 at the time, and we already had an interest in adoption from China. So, two years ago, when we told EJ that we were going to adopt a baby, she knew right away what that meant and how it worked.

Rose Lewis, an adoptive parent herself, now has a new book titled "Every Year on Your Birthday". She's going to be at a local bookshop to sign copies on Saturday afternoon. Since we already have EJ's early birthday celebration booked during that time, I called the bookshop and made arrangements to prepay for a copy tomorrow. The shop owner assured me that Rose would inscribe the book as we wished. I am SO excited to get this as the first book in Miss Sophie's book collection.

The Amazon description reads: "In I Love You Like Crazy Cakes, Rose Lewis and Jane Dyer told the heartfelt story of one woman's adoption a baby girl from China. These sentiments are brought to life again in this touching portrait of birthday celebrations and unforgettable moments between a mother and her little girl: from joyous hugs for a new puppy, to quiet nights gazing at the stars remembering a faraway family. Capturing the richness of both Chinese and American cultures, Every Year on Your Birthday is a poignant tribute to the growing bond of love only a parent and child can know."


I can't wait to read it!!! I can't wait to snuggle up with Sophie and read to her every night. It's my favorite time of day. In EJ's eight years, I don't think we've missed more than a dozen nights of bedtime reading. Even as a newborn, we made time for a few minutes each night to just flip through the pages of board books and point to objects and name them. It's one of the things I'm most proud of as a parent...the ability to help foster a love of books and reading for her. I hope Sophie enjoys reading as much as EJ does. And I just can't wait to introduce her to my old favorites that I haven't seen in a few years now. A few that come to mind immediately:
  • Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaurs! (Boynton)
  • Goodnight Gorilla (Rathmann)
  • Guess How Much I Love You (McBratney)
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Carle)
  • Red Berry Wool, Mabela the Clever (illustrated by local guy Tim Coffey)

And now, off to tackle chapter 5 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...

No comments: