Friday, May 23, 2008

Two reasons to love May 23rd...

May 23rd must be my magical day. Nine years ago today, EJ was born. She was a teeny baby, only five pounds, but gosh she was cute (and still is!). She really continues to be a bundle of joy in our lives (despite being in the throes of tweener-dom).

I remember that day so vividly. My dad and his wife were visiting that weekend, and on Saturday evening, we went out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. About halfway through the meal, I just kind of lost my appetite, but I didn't think anything of it...just figured I was full! By the time we got home, I couldn't hold my eyes open. I went to bed and slept for an hour or two and remember telling K that my back was tightening every few minutes. I wondered if it was contractions, but I figured if it was that they would wake me up during the night. And they did. At 3 A.M. We live about 45 minutes from the hospital, so we got up and made the trek in. And at 1:27 P.M., little EJ entered our lives.

Fast forward eight years to last year, and we were also up at 3 A.M. on May 23rd...this time to catch a plane headed to Beijing. Yes, it's been a year already...I can't believe it. Some days it seems like we were just in China, and other days, I feel like Sophie has been a part of our lives forever (despite the fact that she's only 20 months old!).

Anyway, I'm going to start with some photos of EJ and then perhaps I'll relive my trip from last year and post a bunch of photos I haven't posted before. I'll try to post a few each day.

I drove EJ to school this morning so I could help deliver cupcakes and cookies to her classroom. She had an extra treat...there was only a half day of school today. When she came home, there was a special delivery waiting for her:


They were from the Sr VP at my company, Mr. R, who used to be my boss before he was promoted! She LOVES Mr. R, because when she goes into the office with me, he books special meetings with her. She goes to his office and they play Operation or Bocci.

After ballet, she came home to find her favorite dinner (homemade mac and cheese) and a whole loading dock full of gifts that had arrived. She couldn't imagine what was in the big box from us...

It was a beanbag! She immediately curled up in it with a new book that Grandma and Grandpap H sent:

Happy Birthday Sweetie...we love ya!

And here are some shots from EJ's 8th birthday, the day we left for China. We left home around 3:30 A.M. and took a very early shuttle to D.C., where EJ spent some of the layover time catching a little nap:

A few hours later, we were flying over the North Pole! How many people can say they've seen that? No sign of Santa, though.



And here's EJ enjoying a snack on the plane. This was before the meltdown at about the 10th hour when she wanted me to tell the pilot to turn around and go back home. Poor girl just needed some sleep.

I'm not if I'll be posting photos on Saturday or Sunday, as we'll be a little busy this weekend.

Until then, if you need more China pics, check out these four families from our agency who arrived in Beijing earlier today. Their daughters will join them on Monday!!! I'm so happy for them!

Road to Number Four

Baby Grace

My Answered Prayers

Zoe Chronicles

No comments: