Thursday, January 25, 2007

Quilting

As more people find out that I'm making a 100 Good Wishes Quilt, they ask how long I've been quilting. The truth is that quilting is not my hobby. I've only ever made one quilt before, a strip or quick quilt in a pattern called Around the World. A friend did a "Quilt in a Day" class, so a few of us decided to give it a try. Not bad, but it did take me more than a day! Maybe a long weekend just to put the top together, and then another week or two to edge, back, and tie it. I uncovered this quilt while cleaning out the attic two weekends ago, so we decided to put it on the bed. Here's a pic:



This quilt replaced a beautiful colonial blue, tan, and white quilt that my aunt C made for us as a wedding gift. I believe it's the Snowball pattern, which she selected because we were living in Florida at the time! Aunt C is a terrific quilter, and she has made quilts for all of the cousins on my dad's side of the family - 10 of us! K and I have asked her where the anniversary quilts are...we thought she should make us a new one every 5 years or so! She didn't think that was funny.

When EJ was born, she made this quilt for her nursery. It's an applique quilt...I've never tried one of those!

EJ was the lucky recipient of another beautiful quilt upon her birth, from Grandma H. It's another applique quilt:

I'll try to take a pick of the Snowball quilt soon. Also, Grandma H made a very unique Sunbonnet Sue quilt for EJ's 4th birthday. The appliqued squares were done in the 60s by K's Grandma H. After she passed away in 1988, K's mom found and saved the squares, and then assembled them and quilted them. I'll try to post that one soon, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you're ready to start assembling this quilt just let me know, I'll be retired as of 2/16/07! I'll just pack up my tools and hit the road. Aunt C.

Two Pearls said...

Hmmm...I might have to take you up on that offer! I've been playing around with the idea of laying out the squares for the quilt to make a heart. I need to get the extra fabric that would surround the heart soon.